All-In One – Single Platform Automation (SPA)
Automation has become a norm in application release processes on different platforms i.e. desktop browsers, mobile browsers, mobile apps (native/hybrid),. Progressive Web App(PWA) and desktop apps to name a few. For each platform separate automation solutions are developed Which indeed, enables us to deliver quality products. However, as the product ages, the automation solution which was an enabler becomes liability due to the following factors:
Maintain separate automation solutions developed for each platform
Code redundancy :
High learning curve for the new Quality Engineer who is recently transitioned in the team, to get them acquainted with all the automation solutions.
Efforts to add new capabilities is high as, it requires to validate the capabilities on all the different platforms.
Any change in feature workflow would require a corresponding update in the test cases for all the platforms.
Tight-knit collaboration with the development team is not achieved due to separate automation solutions for different platforms.
Over a period of time the objective to reduce Time To Market (TTM) might be achieved in order to remain relevant. However, the bar of quality gradually reduces given the overwhelming task of managing wide range of automated solutions developed for different platforms.
All the above key factors bring about a gradual increase in investment costs, which becomes evident when the product reaches maintenance phase, ideally it should be the other way around i.e. inclusion of automated solutions should help a business cut down costs.
To address the above challenges, SDET Tech has developed Single Platform Automation (SPA) wrapped with Open-source software (OSS) capability i.e. Quality Engineers develop and run test cases for the Application Under Test (AUT) at the same place for all the different.
desktop browsers, mobile browsers, mobile apps (native/hybrid), Progressive Web App(PWA) and desktop apps.
The SPA consists of ingenious solutions with the following key features-
- Customizable as per the domain application
- The SPA is designed to keep a low learning curve, to enable transition with new team members
- Designed to support both Test Driven Development (TDD)/Behavioral Driven Development (BDD)
- Designed to embrace Agile Methodologies and Shift Left philosophy
- Support for different types of reports- ExtentReports, Allure etc.
- Support for Cloud based testing platform- BrowserStack, Sauce Labs, AWS etc.
- CI/CD (Continuous Integration/Continuous Development) goes hand in hand with custom release pipelines
- Automated test cases embrace the WORA (Write Once Run Anywhere) philosophy
- Generic API utilities- screenshot, rerun of failed test cases during execution of the suite, read- mail, database, excel, csv, JSON, properties etc.